CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 6, 2009

844 Ever

This past spring, I had the chance to travel from Sparks, NV to Roseville, CA on the train being pulled by 844.

I couldn't believe how many people were out to watch the train go by! At a couple of places in the foothills around Dutch Flat or Alta it looked as if there were entire classroom's of kids standing by the tracks watching 844 go by. Of course, the foamers were out in force and it became a game to us to see where they would show up. (I think we saw 1 specific guy in 4 or 5 different spots all along the route.) It was fun for once to be on the inside looking out rather than being a "train nut" chasing all over the mountain (My lovely wife will never understand!).

It was a wonderful experience and I had a great time, even when we went into emergency in the "Big Hole"! Thank-you PM and Union Pacific!

As a side-note, the thought has occurred that maybe I should have built a model of this engine instead of a Santa Fe 2900 engine. Unfortunately, the thought never really happened until after construction had already begun. I just wanted one of the biggest and baddest 4-8-4's and since 2925 languishes a mere 20 miles away from me rotting in the sun and rain, I thought that it should be the one. But the thought of no tandem rods and much simpler valve gear definitely does have its advantages.....

0 comments: